Day 1 of Lent

I'm going to be completely honest with you guys I had no clue what Lent was. I mean I heard about it growing up, but never really cared. I never knew when it started, or what to do. Until I had a darling friend of mine just nonchalantly comment "So what are you giving up for Lent?" My first response was sex...Jokingly. It was only until after I went home and really got to think about it and researched. Lent is a season of reflection and preparation before Easter. I'm not going to give you the whole lesson on it. We're all grown adults and have access to Google.

I can't tell you how long I sat on my couch trying to figure out what to give up for Lent. I mean there's all the obvious thing; sex, smoking, drinking, and I don't list these to be sarcastic. I really wanted to give this a go and maybe incorporate as a tradition for our family every year. So I decided to put my big girl pants on and cease spending money for Lent this year. Okay Okay Okay I mean spending money on frivolous things. Of course bills have to be paid, the animals have to eat, WE have to eat. But, no going out for dinner, no buying toys, clothes. You know stuff we don't need but it's so easy to just swipe a debit card out of habit.

Anyways, day one wasn't a problem. I did catch myself numerous times putting stuff in my Amazon basket. Online shopping is my weakness. Then I quickly removed them. I canceled our Hulu subscription, the Starz subscription...I'll catch up on the Outlander a later time. I used some of the stuff we had in our pantry to make dinner tonight. I also pulled out a few box dinners still in date for the rest of this week. (I jolted down a quick note to go through our pantry) I noticed I was running out of shampoo and remembered I had half full bottles under the sink. It doesn't matter if I no longer like the smell shampoo is shampoo. I also had someone contact me about re homing one of their reptiles for $50.00...while it killed me I refused. If I had accepted I would have to buy it a cage and supplies for it's habitat. Sigh!

 I did have to go buy more formula for Ethan. Also, some 3 in 1 body wash and shampoo for my husband. Turns out my body wash makes him break out. I will have to buy Ginger our hound dog with the food allergies her food this week. Thankfully the remaining animals I already stocked up on food.

 I'm pretty sure it will get tougher as the days go on. Especially since I don't have a job at this moment and I'm just de cluttering the house and looking online at everything. I've been searching for free stuff to do with Ethan. I'm going to have to get creative. I'll keep y'all updated.

Are you observing Lent? If so what are you giving up?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Later January!

Mama Bear Mode

Mama's little Vader